A Flow Battery features an electrolyte flowing continuously between a storage compartment in one or more tanks, and a reaction chamber where the electrodes are placed.
Pumps move the liquid to charge the electrolyte and discharge power at 100% an unlimited number of times without any degradation. Flow batteries can be charged by Wind / Solar / Hydro / Grid power and other primary power means.
They are also known as Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) by collecting and storing unused power for timely discharge when required.
The Key features of Flow batteries are as follows:
- Very low on-going operational costs
- Reliable and consistent power availability enabled by fast charge and discharge times
- 100 Discharge
- Long Life Asset and Unlimited cycle life due to no degradation of the electrolyte over time
- Customized, separate power and capacity specifications for different applications
- Durable operations in rugged, remote outdoor environments from -20°C to 55°C ambient
- Safety Considerations – non-flammable, non-explosive
- Scalable system through a parallel connection
- 100% discharge
- Turnkey energy storage in a weatherproof and tamper-proof housing
- Integrated system solution, including specially adapted inverters, thus giving access to various energy sources.
- Optional remote or online maintenance
- Central temperature management
- Optimal operational performance through smart battery management
- Simple and cost-effective transport in standard freight containers
- Friendly and recyclable
- Spontaneous response to load demand
CoverTel is a distributor of Vanadium Flow and Zinc Bromine flow batteries in Australia, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands.